In this webinar, we discuss the National Medicines Policy (NMP) Review with CHF members, consumer representatives and stakeholders who have an interest in health consumer affairs.The NMP is intended to deliver positive health outcomes for all Australians through access to and appropriate use of medicines.
The Review of the NMP has been commissioned by the Minister for Health, the Hon. Greg Hunt, in recognition of the substantial changes to the health landscape since the policy was published in 2000. It will be high-level and aimed at identifying gaps in the NMP’s objectives, partnership approach and accountabilities.
Minister Hunt has established an Expert Advisory Committee to lead the Review for the Department of Health.
Hear from the Committee chair, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Professor Michael Kidd AM and the Consumer Advisor, Jan Donovan, who is also a member of CHF Board.
They are joined by: Liz de Somer, CEO, Medicines Australia. Medicines Australia was instrumental in securing the Review.
CHF will be putting in a submission. We aim to have a draft out by 27 September and will be running a feedback session with consumers on Wednesday 29 September at 11am -1pm.
If you have any questions or comments about this webinar please contact Penelope Bergen. Policy Officer Quality Use of Medicines: email P.Bergen@chf.org.au
Professor Michael Kidd AM is Principal Medical Advisor and Deputy Chief Medical Officer with the Australian Government Department of Health.
Jan Donovan is experienced in public policy, strategy and governance matters at Board level through her nine years (1998-2007) as a member of the Board of the National Prescribing Service (NPS Medicines Wise) and five years (2005-2009) as a member of the Board of the Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute at ANU.
Liz de Somer is CEO of Medicines Australia. She began her career in nursing and spent over 10 years as an Intensive Care nurse in the front line of critical care in London and Australia. A chance role supporting a clinical research trial ignited a passion for drug development, leading Liz to a Master of Medical Science (UNSW) in 2007. Her work since then has spanned drug development, clinical research, regulatory affairs, and market access in the pharmaceutical industry.
The webinar will be facilitated by
Leanne Wells, CEO of the Consumers Health Forum and Board Director of Coordinare (Southeast New South Wales’ Primary Health Network), the Ozhelp Foundation, and the Population Health Research Network.
About the Review
The Review will:
- Evaluate the current NMP objectives and determine whether these should be modified or additional objectives included. This includes consideration of the proposed Principles to be included within the NMP.
- Consider the definition of medicines and whether the NMP needs to be expanded to include health technologies.
- Assess the NMP’s utility in the context of rapidly evolving treatments options, population changes, interconnected relationships and system-wide capacities.
- Consider the centricity of the consumer within the NMP and whether it captures the diversity of consumers’ needs and expectations.
- Identify options to improve the NMP’s governance; communications, implementation (including enablers) and evaluation.
- Review the NMP partners and provide options for building greater accountability including addressing conflicts of interest.